Marathon Mama
This was the title of a shirt I saw at the Marine Corp Marathon Expo the day before the race. I loved the saying but didn't want to pay $25 to purchase it (especially since it was printed on an American Apparel t-shirt and the only people these t-shirts fit correctly are pre-adolescent little girls).
So, Bee with you cheering me on in Papa's arms I completed the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington DC with Travis by my side. It was a great race - I felt strong for the majority of it (we won't talk about the marathon despair I experienced mile 22 to mile 24) and am really pleased with my finish time 3:26. In my imaginary running world I secretly wanted someday to pull off a 3:15, but knew that my reality time would be somewhere between a 3:20 and 3:30. I told myself that I would never run another if I came in under 3:30 -- so there it is, my marathon career is over. I don't mind saying that one bit -- marathons are absolutely grueling and wreck havoc on my body. I want to go out and start training seriously for half-marathons because I feel that is where I might be more competitive.
Here are the race stats from the MCM website:
Entrant KATIE COX
Event Full Marathon
Date Sunday October 28, 2007
Division / Race Number F3034 / 29129
Gun Time / Chip Time 3h:27m:38s / 3h:26m:0s
• Statistics Print
976th place with 19646 finishers behind. About 5% of finishers ahead.
117th place with 7934 finishers behind. About 1% of finishers ahead. (Sex Data)
30th place with 1349 finishers behind. About 2% of finishers ahead. (Age Group Data)
Who's who
Of the 20622 who finished, 39% were female and 61% were male.
Opposite Sex
For the record, you were ahead of about 93% of male finishers
(I LIKE THIS ONE!!! Eat my dust boys!!)
During this race I had many people on my mind, most often turning my thoughts to your grandpa john (I raised money for the race for Diabetes Research in his honor), your papa and for you Bee. Mostly thinking about how much more time I'll get to spend with you now that my training is over -- and how many more stroller runs we'll be able to do together now since I don't have to do speed work and distance runs (which you and my body can't tolerate).

Papa and Bee waiting for mama and Travis to pass through the tunnel at Mile 19.
I am so happy to think that you were able to watch me race at least one marathon.
The other shirt title I liked stated "She runs. He Follows." Tee hee
So, Bee with you cheering me on in Papa's arms I completed the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington DC with Travis by my side. It was a great race - I felt strong for the majority of it (we won't talk about the marathon despair I experienced mile 22 to mile 24) and am really pleased with my finish time 3:26. In my imaginary running world I secretly wanted someday to pull off a 3:15, but knew that my reality time would be somewhere between a 3:20 and 3:30. I told myself that I would never run another if I came in under 3:30 -- so there it is, my marathon career is over. I don't mind saying that one bit -- marathons are absolutely grueling and wreck havoc on my body. I want to go out and start training seriously for half-marathons because I feel that is where I might be more competitive.
Here are the race stats from the MCM website:
Entrant KATIE COX
Event Full Marathon
Date Sunday October 28, 2007
Division / Race Number F3034 / 29129
Gun Time / Chip Time 3h:27m:38s / 3h:26m:0s
• Statistics Print
976th place with 19646 finishers behind. About 5% of finishers ahead.
117th place with 7934 finishers behind. About 1% of finishers ahead. (Sex Data)
30th place with 1349 finishers behind. About 2% of finishers ahead. (Age Group Data)
Who's who
Of the 20622 who finished, 39% were female and 61% were male.
Opposite Sex
For the record, you were ahead of about 93% of male finishers
(I LIKE THIS ONE!!! Eat my dust boys!!)
During this race I had many people on my mind, most often turning my thoughts to your grandpa john (I raised money for the race for Diabetes Research in his honor), your papa and for you Bee. Mostly thinking about how much more time I'll get to spend with you now that my training is over -- and how many more stroller runs we'll be able to do together now since I don't have to do speed work and distance runs (which you and my body can't tolerate).

Papa and Bee waiting for mama and Travis to pass through the tunnel at Mile 19.
I am so happy to think that you were able to watch me race at least one marathon.
The other shirt title I liked stated "She runs. He Follows." Tee hee

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home